Saturday, August 8, 2009

Lame Movie

Anna and I had the privilege of having a "day" date yesterday. My mom came out and watched the kids for us. (Thanks Mom.) We went to lunch at a breakfast only restaurant in Loma Linda called "Family Homestyle Cafe". It caught our eye because on the window it says "Home of the worlds largest pancake". The pancakes were huge; about 11 inches in diameter. Larger diameter than the plate. But each pancake was about 3/4 of an inch think as well. Anna ordered TWO! and a side of biscuits and gravy. I ordered their 6 egg "Meat Lovers" omelet which came with a side of biscuits and gravy. Long story short, the pancakes were normal pancakes, just huge in size. Nothing special. They didn't even have a variety of syrups- only maple. My "6" egg omelet wasn't even an omelet, it was more like a scrambled eggs with meat and cheese mixed in, and there's no way there were 6 eggs used to make it. It was big, but the bed of country potatoes it was served on made it that way. Verdict: No reason to go back.

After lunch, we chose to go to a movie. We wanted to see "500 days of Summer" but it's not playing anywhere near us. I think Ontario is the closest I found. So, of the movies that were available, we chose "Funny People". We watched the trailer, and it looked like it was about stand-up comedy, of which we are fans, so that's what we picked.



BIG mistake! There's not a whole lot of stand-up in it, and the parts that are stand-up, are VUUUULGAR! There's a lot of it in the beginning, then the story/plot develops, and it's people not being nice to each other, super sarcastic, unapologetic, and so on. It depicts cheating (adultery) as something everybody does, that no one likes, but that everyone needs to accept as no big deal. Did I mention it was vulgar? Now thinking about it, I can't believe we didn't get up and walk out and ask for our money back. Shame on us. It was a HUGE waste of our date time, and time in general.

Paul Blart Mall Cop was WAY funnier than "Funny People", and it really wasn't that funny. I rented it the other day, and put it in a couple days ago. Anna exclaimed, "I'm not even tired, I'll probably stay up for the whole thing!", and truly believed it. I said it didn't matter, she'd be asleep in 15 minutes. Well, she made it past 15... but was out at 25. She even, at one point, woke up and was quite alert. She asked about what she had missed, and I filled her in. Then guess what happened? Within 5 minutes of that, she was out again, not to wake again till the credits were rolling. I didn't think it was that funny, but it had humorous parts. But I would very much recommend it before ever recommending "Funny People".


Hope to see a good movie soon.

6 comments:

Sara Kelley said...

make the drive to ontario to see 500 days of summer...well worth the drive.

Mr. Mustachio said...

Funny People: Rated 'R' for "Language and crude sexual humor throughout, and some sexuality".

Judd Apatow isn't known for restraint in vulgarity.

I agree with Sara. 500 Days of Summer would be worth the drive, especially if you ended up having to watch Paul Blart. That movie was terrible.

Ken said...

Yeah, we still want to see it, so we'll have to make some arrangments somehow.

And it looks like I should pay better attention to the rating descriptions. And probably won't be seeing another Judd Apatow movie anytime soon.

Kristi said...

G.I. Joe was awesome.

Mr. Mustachio said...

That was going to be my next question. Why did you choose Funny People over G.I. Joe? Are you some sort of a terrorist?

Kimberly said...

luis and i really enjoy Mall Cop.