Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Garden Update

The Garden continues to grow and progress.

Here are some of the zucchini and squash I've recently picked. There are a a couple more I could probably pick today- Haven't decided yet.


The corn has a bunch of ears growing! The corn in box 1 didn't get very tall, but that's not keeping it from producing a lot of corn. Now the trick will be getting them to fully ripen, and deciding the optimal time to pick them.

Some of the corn we planted in box 2 has got to be close to 7 feet tall! And the other very cool thing is that the corn silks are burgundy in color! I refer to them as the "red-heads".


We have one huge pumpkin plant with crazy long vines. Along one of those vines there are a few pumpkins growing. Even though they're on the same vine, I hope they get nice and big. Here's the largest one so far. It's a little bit bigger than my fist. The next one is about half that size, and the third is about the size of an average meatball. Other vines have tried growing pumpkins, but they get to about marble size and then wither away. Hopefully some other vines will produce a couple pumpkins before long.



Here's Duncan standing between the garden boxes.


The tomato plant has hit a growth spurt the last few weeks, but I haven't noticed any more tomatoes growing. But the plant it's self is huge! The cantaloupe plant has 3 almost-ready-to-pick fruits on it, and a bunch of little ones that don't seem to be getting any bigger; But I'm still hopeful.


The sunflowers aren't anything to look at anymore. I chopped the top off of the big one and hung it in the garage to dry. It was way too heavy for it's stalk. The other littler one is still intact for the time being, though they are just about ready to be chopped up too. The seeds are drying in the heads, and once they are, I'll harvest them.


So yeah, looking forward to having some home grown corn soon, as well as pumpkin.


4 comments:

Kristi said...

We gotta come over when you harvest that cantaloupe! How cool and exciting your food growing is. I cant wait till we can try again. I love the picture of Duncan among the green. ps. Sue just brought me a HUGE zucchini from her garden and suggested I make bread, what a great idea! She made Paula Deens recipe, I'm trying a different one.

Anna said...

Kristi - PLEASE come over and eat the cantaloupe! Gross! Who wants that nasty stuff! Not me!

Kimberly said...

i can come over and make cantaloupe juice if you'd like, junior.

Unknown said...

I ate the veggies you gave me out of the garden and they were delicious. I sauteed them in a little butter...yummy. Thanks for sharing.