Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Still Getting It Together

I'm still in the process of getting the computer back to "normal".

We can get online and access email through internet explorer, but it's not what we used to use. I think what we used to use (I think it was from att) was on a disc when we got our dsl line all hooked up, but I can't find that disc yet. So even though I can get to everywhere I want to go online, it's still not the same.

I've also been having some trouble installing some of the software from the printer. It looks like it should be fine, but I keep getting a prompt that there's no printer, or no program to run the printer. Also couldn't download iTunes. It said I need to update my windows in order to install it. That's not cool. I thought I had gotten the updates. I was getting too frustrated with that, so I'm going to try again later.

What have I learned from this:
1. Back up your files! We got lucky, and our files we not erased. When I say files, I mean copies of pictures, documents, anything that is stored on your computer only. Once they're erased from a hard drive, they're gone for good. I was told that once a month is a good idea.

and

2. Keep track of any software you installed. I've had to "dig" to find the discs for the scanner and printer, etc. When you are rebuilding your computer, you'll want to put all that cool stuff back on it, and you'll need those discs. We'll be keeping better track of ours from now on.

Anna's had the camera with her the past few days, so I haven't had a chance to take any pictures of my open-bellied computer yet. I'll try to put up a picture or two tomorrow sometime.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Poor Ken...sorry I haven't been much help. (I was sure out having fun, wasn't I?)