Sunday, June 28, 2009

Noooooooo!!! *Update*

Our computer has taken a total dump! It happened in the middle of the day yesterday.

There's something wrong with the hard drive. The only reason I'm here now is due to some tutelage of Anna's brother Ken, who's really good with computers. I've removed the bad hard drive, put in the hard drive from the other computer we have to try and access any info from the bad hard drive (which I'm having trouble with, more about that later). The Internet Explorer program on the replacement HD allows me internet access, but it wont let me get into my email (haven't figured out why yet).

The good news is, it looks like we didn't lose the majority of our documents, files and pictures; But the bad news so far is, I can't get it to burn copies to a disc. I'm thinking the new HD needs to have the drivers installed for the disc drives. I'll be calling Ken soon to see if that guess is right, and what I can do to get it working.

Man, this is so lame. I need to get this all figured out as soon as possible. I leave for scout camp on Saturday, and I still have lots to do to prepare for that.

Have I mentioned how lame this all is yet?


**Update**
I figured out how to access my email, so that's a relief.

Anna suggested trying to save our files using flash drives. Brilliant! Except there's way more files than room on our flash drives... BUT...

I figured out how to save our files to my external HD (that houses all my music files), and it seems to have worked fine!! I think the next step is putting together a working computer. The replacement HD is kind of small, so we'll probably need to buy a new internal HD, and go from there. Hopefully we won't need to buy a whole new computer.

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

time for a brand new one!

Ken said...

Hopefully I can just replace the hard drive in this one...

We'll see.

Anna said...

Poor cute Ken! Thanks for dealing with all of this for us!