Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Ready, Set, Garden!

It's Wednesday, so it's garden update day. (Here's last week's update.)

Here's the #1 mammoth sunflower. Looks to be a little over 2 feet tall, and going strong.


Mammoth sunflower #2. Doing quite well. I don't know that this one will ever be as big as #1, but I'm anxious to see how big it will get. This week, it's up to about 9 inches.
Here's the pumpkin. It's gotten a bit more yellow, but continues to grow. I finally transplanted it in the same area as the sunflowers since those seem to be doing pretty well. Hopefully the nutrients in the soil will help it turn green again. If not, I'll probably have to get some fertilizer.

For Family Home Evening Monday, we all went to Lowe's and picked out some veggies to grow. We chose some corn, roma tomato, zucchini, yellow crooked neck squash, and cantaloupe- our only fruit choice. We also picked out a rosemary plant, but haven't given it a permanent home yet.


In the second planter we mostly put down seeds. You can see one transplanted plant. That's the Lima bean plant Liam started at school. The seeds we planted are mostly like what we bought at Lowe's. We planted corn, zucchini, cantaloupe, and pumpkin.


I picked off some Sago palm "pups" from the in-law's mature Sago. They've "hardened off", and now I've put them in some soil specifically for palms. Sago's take quite a long time to grow, so it'll probably be months till we see anything coming out of these. And that's if I've done it right thus far. If I haven't, then nothing will happen other than the "pups" either drying out completely, or rotting from over watering.


So yeah, now we have to make sure we remember to water them all everyday, and not over water them. We probably need to buy some sort of mulch to help keep some moister in, and the sun off, the roots of the plants.
Now the hard part... the waiting.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

i think it's funny the one fruit you picked was cantaloupe and anna doesn't even like it.

Kristi said...

Good job. Did I tell you we have a random sunflower growing on our lot? I'm not sure how it happened, it was just there one day. I have pictures.