Wednesday, June 17, 2009

On the Grow

Here's another (boring?) update on what we've got g(r)o(w)ing on. See what I did there?

My #1 mammoth sunflower continues to do well. There are a couple of spots that are turning brown though. I'm not sure if it's damage related to bugs eating those parts of it, or some sort of plant disease or something. I'll have to see how much it spreads in the next bunch of days. It's about 20-22 inches tall now.


Here's the #2 mammoth sunflower. It's still fighting to grow. It's doing a lot better than it was a couple weeks ago. The leaves look a little different than the other one so far. Maybe that has to do with the maturity of the plant? I don't know, I'm just glad it's still coming along.

Here's that pumpkin plant I mentioned last week. The rounded leaves are yellowing a bit so I added some dirt to the bottom to see if that helps any. If it doesn't, I might need to get some sort of plant food? Anna said it needs more nutrients. I'm really tempted to put it in the ground near the sunflowers since they're growing there so well.


This is my newest plant project. These are Sago Palm "pups". Other than from seed, these are what you grow new Sago palms from. I plucked them from a big Sago palm in front of Anna's folks' house last Sunday. Right now they are "hardening" or drying. Probably Monday I'll put them in planter pots to begin trying to grow their roots. Sagos are slow growers (it seems), so these will take a lot of patients. I hope I can handle it.

I'm sorry to say I still haven't gotten our planter boxes prepped and ready for planting yet. I need to borrow a tiller, and the guy in our ward I'll borrow it from is out of town this week. Maybe if I found a decent one for pretty cheap I'd be tempted to buy it, so we'll see.


Well, that's my plant update. If you have any tips, pointers, or whatever, leave it in the comments section. thanks.


1 comment:

Anna said...

My tip: borrow the tiller instead of buy one! :)