Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Shrinking Garden- Kind Of

Here's the weekly update on the garden. I have to admit, it's not as exciting as it was months ago, even for me. But, I'm still watering, and watching for ripe things to pick...

I picked these this week. So far, those are the only tomatoes that have turned red. Probably one of the last yellow squashes we'll get, and a very handsome zucchini.


Since we pulled all the ears off of the second set of cork stalks, I've gone ahead and pulled them out. These are now drying out, and I'm going to see if they'll work for Halloween decorations.

This is box 1. As you can see, the zucchini on the left has far over grown the edge of the planter, but it's as green as it's ever been. It has slowed down a bit, as far as how many it's producing, but it's still producing. Right next to it, a little upper right, it the enormous tomato plant. I had to secure the tomato cage with a small rope to keep it more upright, but the cheapy cage is all bent now. In the lower right, is where the yellow squash used to flourish. There's one little bit of it trying to hold on, but I don't think it will last much longer.


Here's box 2. That empty spot is where the corn used to be. I need to find/buy some more corn seeds to put down, or something else. In the upper corner of the box is a late growing zucchini that looks like it's going to produce. It's got a few 2-inchers on it, so I'm waiting to see how they do. The other lighter green vine looking stuff is the pumpkin plant(s). still only have the two pumpkins growing. You'd think that by how big those plants are, there would be more, but that's not the case. Around both boxes is some pretty tall grass. Looks like the bunch of times I've left the water system on, it's seeped to the ground and has brought the grass there, back to life. I need to cut it all way back.



Here's the cantaloupe. Looking nice and round. It's a little on the small side, but that's fine with me as long as it tastes good. The last cantaloupe I cut up tasted kind of funny. It took me a minute, but then I realized it had a pumpkin after taste. Makes me wonder if it got cross pollinated. So we'll see about this last one.




I have no idea when to harvest the whatever beans we planted, but it looks like some unwanted "friends" do.





Here's the smaller of the two pumpkins. Almost all yellowy-orange. Still pretty small.






Here's the larger pumpkin. It's getting a nice rich orange color. I don't think it will get much bigger than it is, but I'm sure it will "age" nicely.



So that's what we've got going this week. Like I said, I need to either find the other corn seeds we had left over, or go buy some more. We'd really like to grow more. I definitely want to grow some red bell peppers when it's time to sew some. I'd like to grow some onion too, but I think those require a lot of maintenance? We'll see.




No comments: