Wednesday, September 2, 2009

"G" is for Garden

The garden continues to evolve and change. Some of it on it's own, and some of it my fault...

Here is a shot of where there used to be corn stalks. These were the corn plants we bought at Lowe's. We ate all the ears, so those stalks were done. Now I need to figure out what to plant there next.


Here's an example of "my fault". I forgot to water the garden one morning (I'm only watering in the morning), so they didn't get water for 48 hours. In the heat we've been having, it was murder on the crook-neck squash plant. It didn't actually die, but most of the large shade-giving leaves withered away. It's looking pretty sad.

I thought the cantaloupe plant was on it's way out. It had one large fruit left, and I was planning on pulling it out, but while I was taking pictures, I saw this little beauty! Looks like I'm not pulling this one out just yet.


Our long time "only" tomato is finally changing color! It's almost red! And as you can see, it's not alone any longer. Actually, there are probably a couple dozen on our ginormous plant now, so it looks like we'll be able to make some salsa with them after all. *crosses fingers*



Here's our large pumpkin. I switched to my shoe for scale to show the size. As you can see, it's also begun to change color. The next biggest is still kind of small. It's a little bigger than a softball now. They are still the only two pumpkins successfully growing in our garden.




Ah, bummer! I didn't know there was a dried up blossom in the way! This is a picture of conjoined crook-neck squashes. I'll have to take a better picture sometime. They're still kind of small, so they've got some time to grow still.

We'll probably be picking the red headed corn soon.


There are a couple of really late blooming zucchini plants in the second garden box. I'm watching them to see if they'll be producing anything, or if it's too late in the season for them.


The sunflower seeds I had in the zip lock bag got all moldy. They must not have been as dried out as I thought. Bummer. We tossed them out. I still haven't pulled off the seeds from the large bloom, so there's still a chance I can keep those seeds successfully.


So that's the garden these days. Still very cool to have.




1 comment:

Mr. Mustachio said...

I usually water at night, to allow the water to be absorbed more. I think that if I do it in the morning the sun heats it up and can damage the plants. But, that is just my theory.
And, can I make a request that you no longer show measurements with your feet.