Wednesday, September 23, 2009

ardengay

Is it Wednesday already?!


As I've mentioned before, the Roma tomato plant is out of control. It's huge. There are a grip of green tomatoes on it now. Some are quite large by Roma tomato standards. Here's one of the largest ones.



The pumpkins are a pure orange these days. They're also starting to get a little more "character" as well. They're not just smooth orbs anymore. They're not really getting any bigger, but that's ok. This is the smaller of the two.

Here's the larger one. The pumpkin plant it's self is taking a beating from all this heat. I've been watering regularly, but it's not enough to keep a lot of the leaves from browning.


I put down some more corn seeds this morning. It's not a very good picture, but that's the type of corn I planted. The envelope says it should take 7-10 days to germinate. We really hope we can get another harvest of corn before the end of the year.



I picked these today. I didn't check them for a couple days, so they got a little bigger than I would have liked, but they'll still be good, especially in bread. One of them is about 11 inches, and the other is a foot long. Then there's that funky yellow squash. It was cross pollinated for sure. There might be one more yellow after this one, but if it doesn't make it, I'll be pulling that one out.
I didn't take a picture of the cantaloupe. It's still pretty much the same as last week. The grass around and in the planter is getting a bit out of control. I really need to pull it all out or cut it way back. It just gets so dang hot so fast these days, that there's no way I'm doing it this week.

3 comments:

Anna said...

You are the greatest! Thanks for planting the corn again!

Kristi said...

Did you plant those sugar pumpkins or the kind that you find at the pumpkin patch? Romas are awesome producers as long as they are happy. Good job. Stop that grass from taking all the water, pull it!!

Ken said...

Sugar pumpkins? As far as I know, they were called "jack-o-lantern" pumkin seeds. Though they're not too big.

Speaking of big... There are HUGE pumpkins at Sams Club right now. Giant ones, seriously. $10 each. Very tempting.