Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Gar to the Den

It's been a good week of reaping what we've sewn as far as the garden goes.

Late last week we picked all the remaining corn, which was all the red-headed corn in box #2.

Here it is all naked! It was really good. I don't think it was as sweet as the earlier corn, but still, SUPER good! This time we didn't eat it all in one sitting, we ate half of it on day, and then the rest a couple days later.

I also cut into one of the cantaloupes because I was concerned about the bruise that seemed to be getting bigger. Unfortunately, the melon wasn't as ripe as it should have been, but the kids don't seem to mind. I have one more picked melon in the kitchen that's looking like it's ready to be cut up, so hopefully it'll be really sweet like the first one.


I still have one "vine" of crook-necks still producing. The others have slowed down a lot. And the conjoined squashes dried up... bummer.



There's still some zucchini growing. Again, not as prolific as before, but some is better than none. I have a chocolate zucchini cake recipe I'd like to try, as well as an "apple" zucchini pie.




I put my hand in the shot to show the size of the newest cantaloupe that's still growing. It looks like it's doing well. It's actually growing on the bricks between the two boxes.





Here's the smaller of the two pumpkins growing. It's a tad bit bigger than last week, maybe- but it's starting to change color.






Here is the bean plant that I put in from Liam's kinder class. It's been flying under the radar the past few weeks, but this week it bloomed. So it'll be interesting to see if it produces and pods.







This week there are a few more tomatoes turning red. That's encouraging. I didn't take a new picture of our first tomato, but it's red and ready to pick.








And finally, here's the larger pumpkin. It looks like it's about the same size as last week, again, maybe a tiny bit bigger, but not noticeably bigger at first glance. As you can see, it's almost completely changed color. I do hope it does get bigger, but I can't see it getting huge if it's not too big by now. But we'll wait and see.


I can now pull out the other corn stalks and start putting in some more corn seed. I think it will probably remain warm enough to make it worth while. We've LOVED having the corn from our garden because the kids eat it much better than they do the zucchini or yellow squash.


So yeah, we're so glad that we put the garden in.




3 comments:

Kristi said...

All your stuff looks really great. Jason & I got to pick and eat peas immediately out of the pod from his parents garden, GOOD.

Ken said...

Thanks. Now the trick will be to keep it up, as in continuing to plant and grow more things in the garden.

colleeeen said...

You already have bean pods on that plant! We've had a good crop of green beans this year, I think I'll grow them every year now.

Garden-fresh peas are simply awesome, and super easy to grow from seeds. You can actually plant them now. Snap peas are the sweetest and best right off the vine, and we loved putting shelling peas in our soups all winter long. My cantaloupes are tiny and don't seem to be getting any bigger. I'm kind of irritated by them.