Friday, October 24, 2008

UFC: Last Week, and This Week


I realised that I didn't put up my results from last week end's UFC fights. Well, I'm happy to report that I received a personal best of 194 points! Not too shabby. I successfully picked 7 out of 10 winners. In two of the fights that I did NOT pick the winner, I had all the other things correct (round, time, and winning method).


Even though I got a personal best score, my ranking has been higher in the past. With this score, I got a ranking of 90 (tied with all others that got the same score). My best ranking was 73 (twice).


All in all, the fights last week were pretty good. Most of the non-main event fights were better than the main event ones. The two main events both went to decision. So they were a little drawn out. I was bummed to hear that Bisping's game plan was to get a unanimous decision. That means he only wanted to do enough to stay ahead on points, and avoid any real fighting. It worked, but still lame. I felt Brandon could have won just as much as Keith, but the judges didn't see it that way. I'm glad we got to see those fights on Spike TV, and didn't have to pay for them.


On to tomorrow's fights...




I'm looking forward to seeing how quickly Anderson Silva beats Patrick Cote. I chose a first round knock out win.


I have Thiago Alves winning by unanimous decision. I think he'll be too strong for Koscheck, and keep him on the defensive. If all Kos can do is defend, he can't win. But I do think Kos will be able to keep from being finished before the fight end on time.


I'm pulling for Rich Clementi to win over Gray Maynard. I know Gray is strong, but Clementi is crafty. I think it will go back and forth. I think Clementi will try for a lot of submissions to finish the fight, but I think this will go to decision. I picked split decision for Clementi.


A pretty exciting heavyweight fight is on the card. Fabricio Werdum vs. Junior Dos Santos. Werdum is a big guy, and very strong. Dos Santos is just as big, but looks really fast. He's making his UFC debut. Werdum is the favorite to win, but I think Dos Santos will pull out the victory. I even have him winning by TKO.


Sean Sherk will fight Tyson Griffin. I think this will be a fast paced stalemate fight. I think they'll cancel each other out for the most part. They're pretty much the same fighter. I think it will go all 3 rounds, and Sherk will probably win by unanimous decision.


I think Thales Leites will beat Drew McFedries by decision.


I'm hopeing Shannon Gugerty beats Spencer Fisher by a choke submission.


Same for Dan Miller over Matt Horwich.


I think Hermes Franca will win by decision over Marcus Aurelio, and that Josh Burkman will win the same way over Pete Sell.


I see that I've chosen a lot of fights to end by decision. That usually means I think they're pretty evenly matched. One of the great things about MMA is anything can happen during a fight. I hope the fights are exciting, and that the fighters give it their all. I'll let you know how I do next week sometime.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know how many people will read my comment so this is more for Ken.

I think we are thinking the same way on most of the fights. Silva will win but I have it going to the second round. I think Cote will play it smart and keep some distance just to make it the second round, then Silva will win with a TKO.

Thiago looked to good in his last fight and he is a finnisher. I dont think Koscheck can keep him from taking him down or strikeing him.

One fight I think will go the other way is the Gray vs Rich fight. Rich is good and can finnish in many different ways but I think Gray's wrestling is better and will control the fight for the win.

I know some of the fighters for the rest of the card and some I don't which makes it hard to make a smart pick for the winn. I looked at a few things and made my picks off of that. I will post my standings after the fights to see where I stand.

Should be good fights.

Kevin

Anonymous said...

Silva will beat Cote. I think Cote wont make it real easy though.
I'm a Koscheck fan all the way. I think Alves strategically didnt weaken himself with making weight for the Hughes fight and I dont like that. BUT, he is really strong, Kos will have to not make the first mistake.
I'm pulling for Maynard, Werdum, Griffin (aka gigglybutt) and the others I know the names but cannot remember how they do off the top of my head. Either way I am always looking forward to a PPV that stars the Spider!!

Ken said...

@Kristi

Looks like other than the Spider, we're the exact opposite in our picks.

Too bad my picks are the ones that are going to win.