Thursday, October 16, 2008

UFC 89 This Saturday...


The next UFC event is this Saturday. It's UFC 89, and it's free on Spike TV. The fights are taking place somewhere in the UK.


Here are my picks for a handful of the fights...


The main event is Micheal Bisping vs. Chris Leben. This should be a great fight. Both of these guys like to get after it right away. They both have a fast pace, and like to control that pace from the get go. Since they both like that style, it might come down to whom ever has to bend their game plan first will make the first mistake, and that's all it takes to lose a fight. With that being said, I think Bisping will keep his mental edge longer. It's his home crowd and his will to win will be strong. On the flip side, that could be a lot of pressure, and Leben could capitalize on that. I have Bisping to win, TKO in the 2nd round.


The other big fight on the card is Keith Jardine vs. Brandon Vera. Both of these guys have huge wins, and both have huge losses. Brandon had a string of wins early on in his UFC career, but has lost the last few. Keith just hasn't been consistent. He'll win a big fight, and lose the next to a lesser opponent. He's got to string a few wins together to be a contender. I think they'll work hard for 3 rounds, and go to decision. I have Brandon by unanimous decision. Should be a great battle.


Luiz Cain vs. Rameau Sokoudjou. Sokoudjou I guess, used to be a big name fighter in Pride, but has yet to be a big threat in the UFC. Luiz Cain is newer to the UFC but has been impressive in his fights. I have Juiz Cain to win by TKO in the 2nd.


Paul Kelly vs. Marcus Davis. Paul Kelly and Marcus Davis are both coming off losses. Paul had a 3 round battle loss to Paul Taylor, and Davis had a 3 round battle loss to Mike Swick. For both of them, this is their redemption fight. No one wants two losses in a row. I think Marcus will be better equipped to win, but Paul will be tough to beat. I have it going 3 rounds with Marcus winning by unanimous decision.


Paul Taylor vs. Chris Lytle. This is a tough one to call. Both guys give it their all inside the cage. But I think Chris can out work Paul, and if he stays busy and pushes the pace, he'll pull out the win. I 'm going with Chris to win by unanimous decision.


After that, I don't really know the fighters that well. I'll have to wait and see if they get some air time so I can remember them for the next time.


I noticed that about half of my fight picks are ended by decision. I guess when it's so hard to figure out who has the edge, I figure they'll go back and forth to the end, and the judges will get to pick who they thought won. I don't mind fights going all 3 rounds as long as both guys are still trying to finish the fight. If one of them is just trying to hold on till the end because they think they have an advantage on the score cards, that's what makes for a "boring" fight.


Anyway, just wanted to get this done sooner rather than later. I have a busy weekend ahead of me.

No comments: