Monday, September 15, 2008

UFC Stuff

It's been a little over a week since the last UFC PPV. It was UFC 88 Breakthrough on Sept. 6th.

I did make some formal picks this time in UFC's fantasy league. I scored 165 points, and ranked 73 out of 21,402 registered leaguers. That might sound impressive, but I think every person that scored 165 points has the same ranking, so there's probably hundreds, if not thousands of people with my same ranking.

I was SO close to getting more points and bonus points in 5 of the 9 fights. There are 4 variables for each fight, and for 5 of them, I only had one variable wrong. That's pretty good. For one of the fights, I had nothing right though. And another one, I only had one thing right. So I still have some room to get better.

Good fights.

But this week, we get some free fights on Spike TV on Wednesday night. It's UFC Fight Night. There are some pretty good match ups slated to take place. Also, just after Fight Night is the premier episode of season 8 of the Ultimate Fighter. That's the UFC's reality show, looking for a couple a new fighters to give contracts to. That all happens Wednesday night on Spike TV.


Back to Fight Night. Here are some of my picks...


Nate Diaz vs. Josh Neer I'm going with Nate all the way. He'll find a way to end it either later in round one or in round two. He's a bit of a slow starter, but once he gets his head straight, he finishes the fight. He'll end it with a submission.


Clay Guida Vs. Mac Danzig This one is a little tougher to call. Clay usually comes out super aggressive and energetic, and has pretty good cardio. Mac is a really smart fighter. He likes to pick his opponents apart, and exploit the gaps in their game. So if Mac can weather the storm, I think he'll be able to get the win. I'm going with Mac.

Ed Herman Vs. Alan Belcher This is a tough one too. Both of these guys are good fighters. I'm going with Ed Herman by decision. I'm figuring it will be a war.


Houston Alexander Vs. Eric Schafer I like both of these guys, and in separate fights, I'd probably pick them both to win, but that's not the case. I think Houston will be able to overpower Eric early, and finish with either a KO or TKO. I don't know that Eric will be able to get in and take Houston down before getting pounded on.



Me and Houston Alexander (my pinky looks like it wants to 'hang loose' but my thumb didn't. I look like a dufus.)

Alessio Sakara Vs. Joe Vedepo I really hove no idea about this fight. I've seen Sakara fight quite a few times, and though I think he's got some of the best tattoos in the UFC, he isn't that impressive of a fighter. He gets knocked out, or gets his bell rung, pretty easily. That leaves a big opening for the other guy to jump in and finish the fight. But he has dropped to a lighter weight class, and with that, his ability to win increases slightly. Plus I think he's tired of losing. I'm picking Sakara to win, probably be decision.

Joe Lauzon Vs. Kyle Bradley This should be a pretty exciting fight. Two really good lightweight fighters meeting in the octagon. But I'm going with Joe to win, probably by submission, but TKO is a possibility too.

After that, there's not much interest in the other 3 or 4 under card fights on my part. And unless there are quite a few early stoppages, we won't see very many of these fights anyway. I'll let you know how I did in the UFC fantasy league soon afterward (I hope).



Who do you got?

1 comment:

Mr. Mustachio said...

I'd be more concerned with the guy in the background than with your pinkie in that picture.

p.s. daqvgkqo