Friday, September 26, 2008

Gone Fishing!

In a few hours I'll be leaving on a Scout overnighter. We're fishing at Silverwood Lake tomorrow. We're hoping to get the boys to pass off a bunch of requirements for the fishing merit badge. Primarily, they'll each need to catch 2 different types of fish. Of the fish they catch (if they catch any), they need to successfully release one, and they need to clean and cook another. The rest of the requirements don't need them to be at the lake to complete.

This will be my first overnighter as the scoutmaster (other than scout camp). So we'll see how that goes. I think we'll have 6 or 7 boys going, and there's about 4 adults going.

I don't think I'll be much of a help with the fishing part. I haven't fished since I was a kid. And even then, my dad took care of most everything, so I'm not even sure how to set up a good working "rig"?

Anyhow, if I get a chance to put a line in the water, I'll let you know how that goes. I have a feeling I'll be spending a lot of time helping boys with the little bit of knowledge I've pulled from the fishing merit badge pamphlet.

No comments: