Friday, September 19, 2008

Friday Flashback

Here is today's flashback photo...






Yep, it's Anna. Pictured with her is her old friend Shelby Mekeel. And I believe that ear belongs to my brother Kevin.


That picture was taken somewhere in the time frame of May or June (maybe even July) of 1994. It was taken in a booth at a restaurant called Twohey's, in Alhambra. The picture was taken by my good friend James Morrison, who was sitting right next to me on my left. We were sitting across the table from Anna and Shelby. That puts me on the right side of the point of view of this picture. (How's that for specific details?) I believe they are looking at a note James wrote to them. I used to remember what is said, but I don't any more.


At Twohey's, this is the second time I've seen Anna ever. I knew Shelby (kind of), because she was the younger sister of my friend Kenny. I knew Kenny through the Pasadena Institute, and Sarah and Jeannine Peterson. I was going to PCC and met all of them there. Anyhow, Kenny had just been set apart as a missionary, and we were out for one last get together before he left the next day.


Anna would have been just 18, and either finishing or just graduated high school.


There's a funny story that goes with this picture. At the time of this photo, Anna and I don't know each other. I knew this was the second time I had seen her. The first was after Kenny had given his farewell talk. His dad's not a member, and took a bunch of us out to eat afterward, and Anna was Shelby's guest. So there we are at Twohey's with a bunch of friends, Shelby invited Anna, and I know everyone else there. In fact, our friend Jason is just to Anna's right, out of frame. I know we talked to them, but as I recall, it was just small talk, and being funny for the girls. James was good at that stuff.


So I had this picture from that day in with the other pictures I have from that day. Then, flash forward a few years. Anna and I happened to be looking at some old pictures, and came across this one. She was very confused as to how I have a picture of her from this day. I told her that James took it. Turns out, she didn't remember that it was James and I that were sitting across from her that day. In her mind, it was just two friends of Kenny's she didn't know. I then told her that this was the second time I had seen/met her. That the first was after Kenny's farewell. Again, she remembers being there, but doesn't remember that I was there too. I was just one of Kenny's friends she didn't know. She thought the first time we ever met was at the institute. She was pretty blown away by it all.


Anyhow, it's one of my many favorite pictures that I have of Anna.



6 comments:

Sara Kelley said...

see, anna! i told you we needed to go to twohey's! now when we go you can remember old times! i can taste the onion rings now...delicious...
sara
p.s. i sure remember james...

Kitty said...

Ken,
You have a really good memory. That is so cool that you found this photo. I have photos from that night too. Anna looks beautiful.
love the blog.
Kat
f.y.i. I found you through Jared's blog.

Kitty said...

I was thinking about this night and realized that I wasn't there. I must have been in Idaho at that school. I have photos of Anna at Ken's homecoming. Ok, I can rest now. Whewww.
Kat

colleeeen said...

James was very good at being funny for the girls. He and my brother shared an apartment up in UT for a few months and "James trying to pick up a girl" stories were always family favorites.

cynthia said...

Cute story! Doug also has memories of us meeting before I thought we met!
Ahhhh, it's all a blur...so long ago! I love Twoheys though! We go every time I'm in town!

Momma Alpert said...

Ken

Great story! Anna is and always will be beautiful! Thanks for commenting on our Alpert blog, it was a pleasure returning the favor!

Lisa