Wednesday, March 24, 2010

round two

Well, it's time to see if we can recreate our garden successes from last summer/year.

We hadn't done any gardening in the winter months, so our planter boxes had gotten a little over run with weeds and grass. I spent a solid few hours last weekend digging that stuff all out, and trying to get as much of the roots out as well. (I should have taken a picture)

Then, I went to the Home Depot and picked up some manure, top soil, and garden compost soil. I also picked up a bunch of seedlings, but more on that later.

We spent family night on Monday, mixing all the new soils and existing dirt together in the planters, and transplanting the seedlings.

This is what it looks like now.


In the first box here: front row- strawberry, strawberryx2, yellow watermelon. Middle row- yellow squash, strawberry, red bell pepper. Back row- broccoli, broccoli, broccoli. This is the "crossing our fingers" box. It would be SO cool to have all of these be successful producers. We'll have to wait and see.

Box 2: front row- zucchini, strawberry, zucchini. Everything else is corn. I'm a bit more confident in this box. I'm pretty sure we'll be successful with what grows here.
I actually still have 3 broccoli, 1 strawberry, and 4 zucchini seedlings that I need to figure out what to do with. Not sure if I'll get a few large planting pots and set them up in those, or if I should till up the section of yard right behind the planters. I'd also like to put some corn seeds down too. Last time, the corn from the seeds did better than the seedlings. (I was feeling a bit impatient when I was buying seedlings.) So yeah, I need to figure that out soon.



Right now our citrus trees are bursting with blossoms, and it smells amazing in our back yard because of it.


Alright. Well, round two has begun, and I'll post an update every week. I'm sure it's boring as heck for you, but it's good for me. It very much helps me see the progress each week, which I need.


No comments: