Friday, April 24, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom!

Today is my Mom's birthday. I thought I would honor her today with a sampling of photos I dug out of my picture pile...

Here is mom, Kristi, Jason and myself walking the streets of New York (Dad took the picture). Mom, dad and I were visiting Kristi and Jason, who were living there at the time. Since then, my mom has gone back numerous times.




Baby Jennan being held by grandma. I think we have a picture like this of each of the kids with grandma.

This is from pretty recently. Mom and Kristi came out for a visit a couple months ago. We're at Duncan's karate class. Tegan did not miss her chance to sit with grandma.


This is from 2001 or 2002. I believe Kelly and Keith were just about to head back up to Utah from a visit. Kevin and I came from our work out to say good-bye. Mom's kids, all grown up.



Here is another picture from our trip to visit Kristi and Jason in NY. We were on Ellis Island. We walked all over the island, took pictures with the statue of Liberty, etc. While we were in the museum, there was a huge down pour just as the ferry boat arrived. We bought these thin plastic ponchos to keep us from getting drenched while we waited in line to get on the boat, and for the ride back. Definitely a photo op.


Flashback to 1984/85. Mom holding baby Kelly at the Hawaii Int. airport. Mom was obviously there for a visit. I don't know any of the details for the trip. But I do remember that shirt she's wearing. I would have been about 12 at the time.



I know this day! It's Dec. 16, 1995! This was taken the day Anna and I got married, just outside the L.A. temple. It was wiiiiindy that day. Grandpa flew in from Hawaii to be there, Grandma wasn't healthy enough to fly at the time. Mom was so happy to become a mother-in-law, and she has played that part wonderfully.


Here is another wedding picture. I believe this is from Kevin and Dawn's wedding reception. Anna made their cake, and mom assisted her in dishing it out. Looks like mom is enjoying the perks of helping with the cake.



Here's another picture of mom with her crazy kids. I was being silly apparently (because I'm hilarious), Kevin got caught blinking, Kim looks pissed off, Kelly's still in pajamas, Kyle was super skinny (meaning this was taken very shortly after he got home from Brazil), Kristi with the grin, Anna and Dawn were ready for the picture, and Keith is in Colorado. I'm sure mom was about to smile.



Here's the oldest picture of the bunch. Taken probably in 1975 in the living room of grandma and grandpa Foutz's house in Rosemead. That puts Kristi at about 1 year old, I'm probably 3. That would mean Dad is about 26/27 and mom would be about 23. I think mom looks fantastic in this picture.
Thanks mom for being so great my whole life. Even if there were any difficult times between us, I'm sure it was for my benefit. You've been a great example to me in the gospel. When I needed to lean on a testimony, I knew I could lean on yours till I grew mine. I attribute my love of music to you. Both in listening and singing, and I hope to pass that love onto my own children. Thank you for all that you've done for me and my family.
I love you, Mom. Happy Birthday.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Mom is a pillar of goodness and strength that will neeeeever diminish. I love any picture of her in hawaii cause you SEE! I need to scan that pic of us little, its one that I like alot.

Unknown said...

Thanks Ken, what a wonderful birthday present! All of the pictures are great and I appreciate your kind words. You and your brothers and sisters have taught me so much.