Wednesday, January 14, 2009

First Monopoly Game

Last Sunday the boys and Anna and I all played Monopoly together for the first time. I wish I would have thought to take a picture.


We played the Star Wars Episode 1 version. We got that game from my folks' house over the Christmas holiday. There were/are towers of board games stacked up at my folks' house, and as we were going through other old stuff, mom declared that if you bought a game that was in the towers, you were welcome to take it back. As the games were getting claimed, Duncan was very interested in the "Star Wars one". We found out it was a game uncle Keith (in reference to Duncan) bought many years ago. Duncan asked if he could have it, and Keith said yes. So, thank you Keith.


So that's how we became the owners.


On Sunday's, we do our best to keep the Wii turned off, and instead, redirect the kids to board games. Usually they select games they can play on their own, but Duncan and Liam chose "Monpoly". I didn't have any reason not to play, so I said yes, I would play. Then they asked mom, and she said, yes too. We explained that it was a very long game, so we would only play for 45 minutes to an hour, and began...


...about 3 hours later, Anna was bankrupt, which ended the game; Liam was declared the winner; and we needed to feed the kids before rushing them through their bedtime routine.


Anna and Liam had formed an alliance, as did Duncan and I. Liam ended up getting both of the last two properties, and Anna helped him put some houses on them. Duncan and I were doing a pretty good job of avoiding landing on them (lucky rolls), and Anna pretty much landed on them regularly which ultimately put her under.


We had a fun time playing. It was definitely pushing the boundaries of attention for the boys near the end, but they stayed in it for the most part. It was also good for them to use their math in collecting and paying rent and stuff. I'm sure we'll be playing again sometime soon.


Wish I had some pictures. Next time!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny, the day after we played, I was thinking of how much fun we had and thought, "I wish we had a picture!"

Anonymous said...

And where were my nieces during this 3 hour marathon game?

Ken said...

The girls were having fun playing other things and watching Wall-E and stuff.
Jennan actually started the game teamed up with Anna, but lost interest very quickly.