Tuesday, February 9, 2010

how bad is it?

I spent most of last week helping out some good friends, the Bocanegras, with their new house. We've done hours and hours of painting, installing laminate flooring, etc. etc. While I've been helping out at the new house, Anna's been watching not only our kids, but their kids, as well.

Since I've spent a great deal of time working, our friends have been feeding me while I'm there. Subway sandwich one day, burrito another day, KFC chicken, pizza, and so on. I knew I was working hard, and hopefully burning lots of calories, so I ate what they brought me. Also, when ever Anna has their 10 year old daughter over, they always bake some kind of goody for everyone. So add some sweets to the mix.

Saturday, we invited the Bocanegras over after church on Sunday, for lunch/dinner since they're old house is in shambles, due to packing. We had chicken enchiladas ready to go. Anna prepared 4 trays! At church, we were invited to eat later in the day with some Tongan friends, the Moalas, in our ward. They blessed their new baby, and had a lot of family in town, and only invited a handful of ward members to have some food. We were lucky enough to be invited... but we already had plans... but I couldn't say no. We decided that I would go by myself, so it wouldn't be weird for us to tell the Bocanegras we had to leave to go have food somewhere else. Plus, this way, we're still honoring the invitation.

I showed up to the Moala's gathering by myself. I got a barrage of questions about why my family wasn't there with me, so I caved, and told them we had invited the Bocanegras over, and didn't want to be rude by changing our plans. Then Sis. Moala said she invited the Bocanegras too! So I had her call Anna and tell them all to come (I forgot my cell). They all came. Turns out, both us and the Bocanegras were among the families invited, but because we had made plans with each other the day before, and not knowing if we were each invited, had not said anything about it. But it worked out.

The downside, to going to the Moala's for food, was we had just finished eating enchiladas at our house. We were already full. But there's NO WAY to get out of eating at a Polynesian gathering! It's IMPOSSIBLE! I tried really hard. Not only is there pressure to eat from the family, but it all looked so good, too! Needless to say, I was hurting by the time I got home. I knew there was no way I was going to have lost any weight this week. In fact, it was really just a question of how much did I gain?

In addition to helping out at the Bocanegras, I was still able to get in 3 sessions of walking this week, including last night. That may have helped keep my weight gain at bay.

I weighed in at 225.2 pounds. Surprisingly, that's actually .8 pounds less than last week!? I was really surprised. It's actually quite encouraging. I won't be able to help as much this week at the Bocanegra's house, so that means I'll be able to eat more "diet" food. I'm hoping to lose a few pounds by next week.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good job...keep up the struggle...it will NEVER end! It gets better.

Kristi said...

Only, maybe, dont think of it as a "struggle", think of it as your gift to your body, to your temple. AND, we may have calorie burning activities for you very soon!