Friday, February 26, 2010

getting caught up

I've been really busy the past month or so with scout duties and goals, and also with just trying to keep up with all the things life brings. Those things have kept me from putting up posts to the blog that aren't of a "weekly" nature. But I have some time right now, so here we go with getting caught up...


In January, our leaky faucet finally annoyed us enough, that I had to do something about it. Instead of changing out the stem in our old faucet, I decided I wanted a different faucet. I didn't like the old one. So I picked one up from Home Depot that was similar, but had better handles. I didn't realise till installing it, that it was plastic, and the tip rotated (which didn't work too well with our faucet-tip-mounted water filter). So after about a week, we had had enough of the new plastic faucet, so I took it back (still had the box), and bought a much nicer fixture set. I also bought and installed an under the sink water filtration system. I spent a lot of time underneath the sink that day.


Here are the new fixtures. From left to right- soap dispenser, faucet, water control, filtered water faucet.

the filtration canisters.


Liam had his two front teeth loose at the same time. But the one that was loosest got the most attention, and it wasn't long until it seemed like it was barely hanging in there. One night, as Liam was showing me how loose the tooth was, I told him to grip it tight, and pull it out. I don't think he thought it would actually come out, but... out it came! He was so surprised! That's his third tooth, and they were all pulled out by himself. 3 for 3!



Duncan received his Bobcat rank at the "Blue and Gold" dinner and Pack Meeting a few weeks ago. He also earned a soccer belt-loop (something he wears on his belt). He looks quite spiffy in his uniform. That night he also led the gathering in reciting the Cub Scout Promise and the Cub Scout Law.




I can't remember if it's been a week yet, but Liam's other tooth came out. As soon as the first of the front two teeth was out, he began to constantly work on the second tooth. It didn't take long for it to be quite loose, and get the "let's pull it out" attention. I tried having Liam pull it out himself, but I don't think he was trying too hard. Anna convinced him to let her lasso it. He was pretty nervous, but trusting. One tug... and that's all it took, the tooth was out! It bled just a tiny bit, but it made Liam pretty upset. He got over it quickly. His adult teeth are already visable, so it won't be long till they're in.





Duncan and I worked on some more of his cub scouting requirements. One of them was to stand 10 steps apart and throw the ball back and forth till Duncan could throw and catch. The catching was the harder part, but after about 20 minutes or so, he was getting much better at it. He actually has a pretty decent throw.



Jennan was very inspired by playing catch, and got her glove and ball to join us. Then, we got Tegan a glove and the girls had a great time playing "catch" too. Pretty much every day since then, Jennan has gotten her glove and ball and asks to go outside to play catch.



There you have it. All the stuff I've been holding out on. Good times.




4 comments:

Anna said...

I LOVE the picture of Ken under the sink because he was using my Brunton compass as a level! Oh the multiple uses of the Brunton!

Sara Kelley said...

jackson's got some catching up to do...he still hasn't lost any teeth!

Kristi said...

Liam, so brave to pull out his tooth. Hes so cool.
I WANNA PLAY CATCH TOOOOO!!

Ken said...

Put it on the list of things to do the next time we come visit.