Friday, May 30, 2008

Road Rage... here?

It had been a while since our last Disneyland visit. Well, a couple weeks at least. So we decided to go yesterday.

On Thursdays, the McDonalds by us has hamburger happy meals for $1.49 between 4pm and 8pm. So when we go to Disneyland on Thursdays, we usually drive through the McDs for dinner. Duncan's the only one of the kids that will eat the hamburger, so luckily for us, the McDs also has $1.00 6 piece chicken McNuggets every day, so we get a couple of those for Liam and Jennan. That way they all get a drink, fries, and toy, and Anna and I eat the other hamburgers with the food we ordered for our selves.

We ate our dinner in the car on the way to Disneyland. And I bet you think that this is where the road rage takes place, but it's not! Disneyland was closing at 9pm, so we had a little less than 3 hours in the park. We decided to do rides we didn't do last time we were there. So first we hit up Buzz Lightyear. The entrance sign said it was a 15 minute wait, so I went to go get us some "fast passes" for the submarine ride while Anna got in line with the kids. Turns out that there are no fast passes for that ride, so I went over to Autopia and got some fast passes there. I figured that by this time, the family was pretty close to getting on the ride, so I waited outside at the exit for them. My phone rang and it was Anna. She was waiting for me inside, so I got in line.

After Buzz, I checked to see if Jennan was tall enough to go on Star Tours, but she's about 4 inches shy of that ride still, so I took Duncan and Liam. We walked right on. After Star Tours we went to Autopia. We had the fast passes, so we bypassed a chunk of the line, but the majority of the line is still ahead of you. We waited a long time in line, maybe 30-40 minutes or so. We do a "baby change" at this ride. Either Anna or I go on with 2 of the 3 older kids while the other waits with Tegan and the 3rd older kid. This day I waited with Duncan and Tegan while Anna took Liam and Jennan. When it was Duncan and my turn, we got in our car, and when the car in front of us went, we went too! We were on our way! Duncan was steering, I was on the pedal. We start, and catch up to the guy in front of us right away. I stayed about a car length or two behind him. Duncan says, "Dad, lets go fast!" So I pointed out that I couldn't, I had to keep a safe distance behind the car in front of us. The guy was meandering along. I was the 3rd car of 7, so there were also 4 other cars behind me that were having to go just as slow.

At about the half way point, a car in the other lane had stalled, and wouldn't restart. Guess who stops to talk to them... yep, the guy in front of me! I was already quite bothered with this guy's driving pace, and then he stops for a car NEXT to us? Was he going to offer to jump start their car? Visit with them until someone was there to help them out? He stopped for about 20 seconds, which is an eternity on a ride, and just as I almost couldn't take it anymore and was about to yell at this *censored*, he started going. I was still fuming, but kept it to myself. And the thought ran through my mind, "I'm experiencing road rage on Autopia?!" The guy never had the pedal down all the way. Jerk.

Once off the ride and reunited with the rest of the family, I told Anna about our ride. She mentioned she thought, that was a longer ride than usual. It was indeed, the longest Autopia ride I had ever been on, and I was not happy about it. But I got over it (mostly).

After Autopia, we went over to the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, and walked right on. By the time the ride was done, Disneyland was closing, so we headed home.

It was a fun evening. (Apart from the road rage.) It was a nice distraction from a stressful week.

Our passes will soon be blocked out for the summer, but in the next two weeks, there are a couple days we can go, so we'll probably go once each in the next two weeks. Anna's sister Eva and her boys will be in town soon, so we hope to go with them one of those times before we're blocked out.

2 comments:

Sara Kelley said...

we are planning a trip to disneyland with eva either the
16th or 17th...or maybe even both days. i'm not for sure just yet.

Mr. Mustachio said...

Give in to the road rage next time. That is what those nice, big bumpers are for. Autopia wasn't meant for slow-pokes.