Monday, May 12, 2008

My handy work...

Friday afternoon, I realized I didn't really have anything for Anna or my mom for Mother's day, or a birthday gift for my sister Kim. This posed a problem, as we were not going to be home for mother's day, or even home much on Saturday! That meant I only had Friday, and it was half over!

We were going to be at the "compound" (that's the sideyard area next to Kevin and Dawn's house and Kyle and Donna's house which are next to my mom and dad's house) Sunday to celebrate Hunter's, Kim's, and my birthdays, and it happened to be Mother's day as well.

We were also going to be spending the night over at Anna's mom and dad's house Saturday so our drive to El Monte would be 20 minutes instead of 50 minutes. This also gave us a chance to see Anna's folks, particularly Anna's mom, as a pre-mother's day visit.

And we also had a birthday party to go to in San Gabriel on Saturday, in the afternoon. The son of one of Anna's good friends from Cal. State L.A. was turning 3, and we were invited. Anna REALLY wanted to go, so we put that in our plans.

Saturday mornings, Duncan has Karate class.

As you can see, I had to do something pretty easy. I was only going to have friday.

I do a bit of leather working, and decided to put together some coin purses. They're small enough that I could probably do 3 of them that afternoon/evening. So I figured out a pattern, decided on the leather to use, etc., and got to work. I knew I needed to do Anna's first so she didn't see me working on it. If she saw me working on the other ones, I would be able to say they were for something else.

I was ALMOST done with Anna's when she got home from work, but I was able to finish it without her knowing what I was really doing. I kept working on the others till dinner time, and then again after the kids were in bed. I thought they turned out pretty good.

Anna liked the coin purse. I had even stamped "Anna the great" on the back of it.

My mom really liked her coin purse. (Dad really liked it too)

And Kim said, "Where's the money that goes in it?" I think she liked it too.





1 comment:

MamaDonna said...

I am abosolutly in awe that you can do this, just so you know. VERY cool skill!