Monday, May 19, 2008

Father and sons...

This past Friday and Saturday was our Stake's father and sons overnighter.
I took Duncan and Liam.



We're ready to go!


Normally our "campouts" are located in the backyard, so this was going to be quite different. I think Liam's only been on one other "big" campout, and that was a few years ago when my side of the family all got together for an overnighter near San Onofre.

Liam can be a little head strong, and quite vocal about his displeasure, so I was a little aprehensive about taking him, but ultimately, he needs to go on these things so he can be used to them.

Luckily where we were going was not far. It is a "farm" type place. I guess it's owned and opperated by a family in the Yucaipa Stake (their Stake borders ours on the east). They have a huge real pumkin patch, and also grow a variety of pine trees for Chistmas. They also have a petting zoo.


We got there early (technically we were right on time, but when everyone runs perpetually late, we were early), and chose a spot for our tent in the designated tent area. The boys were a little helpfull, but the distraction of a new place was very powerful.


After setting up the tent, we got in line to let the boys jump on this bungy/trampoline thing. There were no lines at first because no one was really there yet, but there were enough kids that every spot was taken, and because it looks like no one is waiting, they got to jump for a long time. More and more people begin to arrive, and rotations to jump began. Again there's no line, so when one kid finished, there was no clear indication on who's next (sometimes I feel like we're the only parents that are teaching our kids the idea of "someone was here before me, so I go after them"), and we kept getting cut. Eventually there's enough kids that lines are a must, and we get in one. It felt like it took forever for our turn. Liam was having a tough time being patient. Then it's finally our turn, I take Liam's shoes off and put him on the trampoline thing and he says "No, I don't want to go!" (of course), so Duncan's up next and has a great time "jumping big". Oh yeah, the camera was in the tent! Grrrr!



Duncan finishes his turn, we get our pillows from the car to put in the tent, and I remember to put the camera in my pocket.


Dinner time. The Stake was providing all the food, which made me a little nervous. The boys can be pretty picky about their food. Luckily hotdogs were on the menu. For the men, there was steak, so that was pretty cool. It wasn't the best I've had, but it was tasty. Also rolls, potato and green salad, and baked beans. Liam ate a roll and his bun, didn't want the hotdog, and lots of koolaid. Duncan ate his roll, and half of his hotdog, then ate his friend Sam's roll (he asked first).


After dinner, the boys discovered the goat pen. And like most all of the boys at the campout, began feeding them any leaves they could find. No one ever told them no, and everyone else was doing it, and I was already so tired of being the dad that's trying to do the right thing (like asking if it's ok that the boys are feeding the goats), that I just let them.



There were actually about 40 goats in that pen.



Eventually Duncan found the rope bridge someone had put up for the campout, and I was excited that he wanted to try it. I didn't suggest it to him at all. He did great! There was a boy that started on the rope bridge about 5 steps behind Duncan, and the bridge was getting pretty shaky from both boys being on at the same time (again, how is it that this kid doesn't understand waiting his turn?! He was older that Duncan). Duncan did get pretty scared a couple times about falling, but he kept on going and made it to the end.


Oh yeah, in the mean time, Liam is still finding leaves to feed to the goats. I needed a little bit of a break, so I took the boys over to the trailer of a buddy of mine from our ward. He had his dog with him (old english sheepdog-shaved) and had a TV. He was watching the Lakers vs. Jazz game. But he also had cookies and rootbeer. The boys were actually in one place for a while, and I could relax a bit. Chris's son came and said it was time for the program. The stake put on a very cool program with a narrator, simple hymns played by a guitar and fiddle, and a live "slide show". It was about the restoration of the priestood. Very well done. We had some ice cream sandwiches for dessert, I helped Duncan make some smores. (I forgot to take a picture, sorry) We then went back to Chris's trailer and finished the game. Liam and Duncan were both out by the time the game was over, so I hung out with Chris a while longer before carrying the boys to our tent.

Even though our friend Rich was snoring like a bear in the tent next to ours, the boys stayed asleep. I slept pretty ok. I had put up an air matress for us to sleep on, so that was a big help.

The next morning, the sun was up, so then, were we. The boys were in a good mood, and I was glad for that.


We ate breakfast. Or I should say, I ate breakfast. The stake provided breakfast burritos. Duncan ate half of one with just eggs and cheese, and Liam was having none of it. Not even a plain tortilla. All he wanted to do was feed the goats.

After breakfast we packed up our stuff and put it all in the car.


The stake had set up for some father and son games. Really, the games were more geared to slightly older boys and youth, but Duncan wanted to give one a try. Liam just wanted to feed the goats. The game Duncan wanted to try was a race game. (sorry, no pics) The son stands next to a bucket of water with an 8oz. cup. About 20 feet away are the dads, lying on their backs on a bail of straw, with an empty 24 oz. (?) water bottle on their forhead. On go, the sons run over with a cup of water and try to pour as much of it in the bottle as they can without the rim of the cup touching the top of the water bottle. When the cup is empty, they run back to the bucket and get more water. The one who fills their dad's water bottle first wins. Of course the dad's are getting a face full of water, and that was Duncan's favorite part. I don't even think he was trying to win. He wasn't so interested in switching places for the next race though.


After the water race, we were pretty ready to come home. Liam was not too happy about not being able to feed the goats anymore. I think he cried the whole way home.

Later in the day, they both were knocked out on the couch. It was a tiring 24 hours.


Epilogue-

I was in the kitchen washing dishes when Anna saw the boys sleeping on the couch. She asked for the camera. I told her I already took a picture of them. Then what she said next really surprized me... "Did you see your sleeping picture?" I had knocked out on the couch a few hours earlier (Anna had our bed covered in paperwork and stuff, no room to lay down), and had no idea my picture had been taken! Here are those photos...


They got me good.


All in all, it was fun. It was a lot of work to keep an eye on both of them when they are doing different things, but in the long run, it's worth it.

Here's some more random pics from our overnighter.




*sorry about the long entry. I wanted to fit it all in.

3 comments:

Katz said...

sounds like you guys had a pretty good time. i can't wait til todd can take our boys to stuff like that.

Unknown said...

I just read your outing to Dad, we really enjoyed hearing about what went on. He says he remembers when his Dad took him and your uncles on one of these overnighters. We are trying to remember if your Dad ever took you and your brothers on an overnighter??? Thanks for sharing.

MamaDonna said...

Sounds like I need to get a goat for Liam's next birthday.....