Friday, December 18, 2009

18 years ago today-friday flashback 12.18.09

It was 18 years ago today that I flew out to Provo, Utah to report for my mission. I was pretty excited and nervous at the same time.


Here I am, just about to enter the meeting room where missionaries leave their families and friends, and start being on their own (quickly followed by receiving an official companion). I said my good-byes in CA, so it wasn't as big a deal as it was for others that day.


That means it was 18 years ago this month, that I went through the temple for the first time. That was a special day. I really felt like an adult this day. I think this is one of my favorite pictures of myself. I also really like it as a picture of me with mom and dad.


It was also 18 years ago this month that my other two best friends went through the temple for the first time as well. I was able to go and be there for their first time. It was so very cool to be doing the same things together- preparing for a mission, receiving calls, going through the temple and so on.



It was also 18 years ago this month that I said good-bye to all these great friends of mine. They played such a big role in me becoming the person I am today. They were, and still are, so important to me.


So crazy to think that this was all about half of my life ago. My friends and my mission were so life changing for me. I'm a lucky guy.




(In other news- This was my 400th blog post!)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's my son!! Great pictures...as usual! Thanks for sharing!

Kristi said...

I love that picture of dad. That beard was SO GOOD!

colleeeen said...

Agreed. Your Dad's beard was awwwwwesome.