Monday, November 16, 2009

monday music 11.16.09

I remembered that I wanted to put this first song up on my monday music sometime, but I kept forgetting... but not today.

While at the hockey game the other week, they play a ton of music during the game. Technically it's not "during" the game, but anytime the whistle blows, or game play stops, the music plays. The other thing I noticed, was they never play the same song twice- Each song you here, really, you're only hearing anywhere from 10 seconds to a couple minute's worth each time, but it never repeats. Anyway, one of the songs they played seemed really fitting at the time it played, and it was this song...

That's going way back to 1990! It was such a huge hit at the time. It's funny to see the video and all the Vision Street Wear gear. But I remember thinking, even way back then, that the guys in the video seemed a little off in their fashion. But I was an alternative kid back then, so maybe everyone thought that about me, for all I know. Anyhow, it was a fun flashback moment during the game.




But also, I wanted to share this for today's monday music...

For the past couple years, I've picked up some of the young men in my ward that wouldn't be able to make it otherwise. Good kids in a tough situation and environment. Anyway, on Sunday's I try to listen to classical music on the radio as I'm driving (KUSC 91.5 FM). Each Sunday morning on the way to pick them up, there's a Baroque show on, and I find that I'm really liking that period of music, and look forward to listening for the few minutes I get to. I found this fan made compilation that is a good example of the music.




Also on Sunday evenings, when I'm driving to various other evening meetings or picking up the young men for those meetings, there's also a show called From the Top that's usually on. It features young people playing classical pieces, and sharing their story. It's a fun show, and it's unbelievable how talented some of the kids are that perform on that show. I happened to catch some of it last night, and they had a 17 year old percussionist come on and play a piece that was composed for timpani. It sounded amazing, and I had to look for it to see it performed. This clip is not from that show, but it's the piece that was played.



Well, that's an interesting mix of music today. Hope you liked it.

No comments: