Wednesday, November 4, 2009

energizer garden

...It keeps going, and going, and going...


Here's the larger pumpkin in the early stages of color change.


Here's the new other pumpkin. It's about the size of a large softball. I think it probably won't get much bigger before it turns color.

The corn really shot up this week. I'm sure it's because of the warmer weather we've been having. That would be so cool if it was ready to harvest by Thanksgiving, but I don't know that it will be ready yet. Might be a Christmas harvest. Either way, I'm just happy it's doing so well.
Also in the picture above, you see all the dried vines, except they only "look" dried up. That's where the pumpkin vines all come from. There are a couple smaller ones that are dead, but the main ones are the life lines to the pumpkins.

Here is this weeks pickings... I picked the tomato a day of two ago. It's the best one so far. There are others that size, but not all red. The zucchini came from both the older and newer zucchini plants. Just as I figure to pull them out, they produce something great. I noticed today, that there are two others that will probably be ready by next week. The energizer zucchini plants.

Another crazy thing this week and last is the amount of bees around the garden. There aren't very many blossoms, but I noticed, that's not what they're going after. It seems they are very interested in the mold on the leaves of the zucchini plants. I didn't have much of a problem with mold until the season changed a little, and the little bit of haziness and dew we've gotten allowed the mold to grow. The bees seem very interested in it, and it makes checking the fruit kind of challenging.

So yeah, still very cool to have a working garden.



No comments: