Monday, February 23, 2009

Karate and Tooth KO!

Duncan had karate Saturday. My mom and sister Kristi were visiting at the time, and came along. The pictures were taken by Kristi.


Here are the kids doing "push-ups". I need to work with Duncan on doing proper push-ups so they don't look so much like pelvic thrusts.


Receiving instruction. (In this shot, you can see the wide variety of belt ranks in Duncan's class.)

Today was a sparring day. The whole class has about 2/3 younger kids, and the rest are older kids. On sparring days, kids spar with kids their own size usually. Today the teacher decided to go 2 or 3 on 1. Here is Duncan in mid side kick during a 3 on 1.


Duncan was involved with about 3 more bouts before he volunteered to be the 1 vs. 2 others his size. He was having a fun time.



During that bout, he had an exchange with his classmate, Preston. This picture was snapped just moments before Duncan took an inadvertent shot on the chin (I missed it) that sent one of his two loose front teeth flying!




Duncan ran to the bathroom because he thought he was bleeding. Once it was realized what had happened, I went down to find the tooth. One of the students helped me.

After I picked up the tooth, I went to the bathroom to help Duncan rinse his mouth and reassure him that he was OK. He was actually pretty excited about it all (except the blood). He said he didn't even feel the tooth come out because of the punch. He was glad he didn't have to feel it. He even went up to Preston afterward, and thanked him.



Here he is right before bed, showing off his tooth and new larger gap.



I guess we didn't take a picture of the next morning when there was a dollar in place of his tooth. He'll have a great story to tell, from now on, on how he lost one of his front teeth. Good times.











1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have this faint memory of Duncan excitedly showing me a dollar in a bag. . . . . it was 6:30am, so I said how cool it was and rolled over for more Zzzzz!