Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Green grow the garden, oh

This week I have been able to notice how far the garden has come along without having to compare it to pictures of weeks past.

Here are the first squashes I picked. They then immediately chopped up and sauteed for dinner. The zucchini in the middle started to wilt, so it had to get used before it all withered away.


Here's the over all garden this week.

In box one, the yellow squash and broccoli are the Goliaths to the Davids that are the strawberries and other plants. I'm sure I'll be picking some more yellow squashes very soon. I can't believe how many strawberries are growing and that the birds haven't gotten them yet. *I really need to do something to protect them. I keep putting it off.*


I'm almost certain it's the birds and not bugs eating my pepper buds. Guess I'll need to cage this one too.



The broccoli is looking REALLY good these days. Nice and full.




In fact, I cut off the head of the middle broccoli right after taking their picture. That's a whole bunch of broccoli...



Here's the remaining broccoli plant from the first head I picked. I'm showing you the other off-shoots that sprung up.



In box two, the zucchini plants are in full bloom. There are three or four zucchini on them that I hope to pick in the next week. The corn tops are starting to come out. That means they'll be pollinating soon! After that the corn ears will start to grow!



Here's a shot of the corn seedlings. Some are getting over six inches already. I still need to thin it out.

It's all looking quite nice these days.
In stark contrast, I can't keep my lawn green or weed free at all! I admit, I need to be better at watering, but what am I watering, the weeds? Last time I tried a "weed and feed", it pretty much fried everything, and made more room for more weeds! Not cool. I think what I'll do is mow it all super short, try to de-thatch what's in the ground, then put a bunch of new seed down and see if I can get that to grow and overtake the weeds. We'll see.







1 comment:

Kristi said...

I CANT hardly look at your garden pics I'm so jealous! It all looks great. I think Tegan is my favorite of your models. i mean, that broccoli is as big as Tegan!