Thursday, November 13, 2008

UFC 91 Picks


UFC 91 takes place this Saturday. I know that these post are usually only read by those who share my interest in the sport, so I'll just get right to it.


This might be one of the biggest fights between heavyweights in a long time, but it sure isn't an easy one to try and figure out a winner.


Randy Couture vs. Brock Lesnar On one side you have Randy who is so experienced, and so smart at coming up with game plans for his fights. Not to mention his cardio is off the charts, and he's strong. Brock is young, athletically gifted, huge, fast, strong, and shows no fear. But we did see that Brock's inexperience and ferociousness cost him his fight against Frank Mir, who was able to capitalize on a mistake, and submit Brock. Randy has been knocked out before, so we know that if he gets caught, it might be game over. They both have strong wrestling backgrounds, so if it stays on the feet, Brock might have a better chance just by sheer strength if he can keep up with Randy. Randy might take it to the ground to test Brock's submission defence. If he can keep Brock on the defencive on the ground, he might be able to catch him in something. Who do I pick?... I'm going with Brock to win by TKO. But who knows? Anything could happen.


I'm going with Kenny Florian over Joe Stevenson. I think Kenny's got better stand up than Joe. If it goes to the ground, I think Kenny will be able to fend off Joe's advances. I do think it will be a war. I'm not sure Kenny's got what it takes to finish Joe, so I'm guessing it goes the distance.


I'm choosing Gabriel Gonzaga over Josh Hendricks by decision. I think they're pretty evenly matched, but I think Gabe my have an advantage in UFC experience. It's Hendricks' UFC debut.


I can't believe I'm choosing Jorge Gurgel over Aaron Riley. Riley is making his UFC return, so he's probably going to have ring rust, so Jorge probably has the advantage there. I don't think Jorge is a finisher, so it will most likely go the distance.


Bocek over Robinson by decision. Pretty evenly matched. Both coming off losses.


Hazelett over McCory. Both also coming off losses, but I think Hazalett is a little higher on the experience meter than McCory.


Demian Maia over Nate Quarry. Nate showed some improvement in his last fight, except in his last fight he had to run down his opponent who ran away from him all night. Maia will take it to the ground and submit Nate. I don't think it will take very long for that to happen either.


Matt Brown over Ryan Thomas via choke.


And I think that does it. I'm not as confident in my picks as I was the last fights. In the last fights, I scored my highest points ever: 220! I had 3 fights that I picked be 100% right, and got bonus points. I still only ranked in the 70s. The top scorer had 100 points more than I did.


So if you have an opinion, put it in the comments.

No comments: