Monday, June 9, 2008

So far... (w/new perspective)

My day so far...

Got the kids up, fed them breakfast.

Made Duncan's lunch: peanut butter and jelly on a hamburger bun (we're out of bread), Kool Aid Jammer, and a go-gurt.

Helped Duncan get ready for school, walked to the bus stop and back.

Fed Tegan her breakfast.

Started Laundry. Forgot the take the travel size tissue pack out of my sunday pants pocket, so now there's wet tissue all over that load going into the drier. The lint screen fill be full after that load for sure! Also didn't know there were about 20 pennies in one of the kids' pockets as well. That was one abused load of laundry.

Folding and putting away laundry.

Sat down to blog about the weekend...

...Thought I heard one of the kids go into the bathroom and turn the faucet on. Jennan is pretty good about washing her hands throughout the day, Liam will too now and then. The water for that faucet always sounds like it's coming out very fast, so nothing unusual there. But then somehow my brain starts to figure out that I hear the sound of water hitting the floor, that I didn't hear the door open or close, and I get up to investigate.

I open the door, and there's a geyser shooting up from where the cold water handle used to be! We're talking full blown geyser; water hitting the ceiling and all walls in our guest bathroom (sink and toilet). My first instinct was to put my palm over the gushing water to keep it from spewing out, but just as quickly, know that that never works. So I quickly get to the shut off valves under the sink and cut off the water. Water continues to rain down on me from the ceiling as I look at the half inch or so of water now on the floor, and realize our laminate flooring in the hall will be in jeopardy if I don't get this water up soon. I go to the hall closet and grab our two beach blanket towels, two other beach towels, and a bath towel. All but the bath towel go on the floor immediately, and I use the bath towel to start wiping walls and the ceiling, the medicine cabinet and other small cabinet in there. My outhouse picture on the wall had water in it, and so on. I get everything wiped off, get the towels outside, and finally look to see what the heck happened to the handle? It looks like it just snapped. Just broke. No one was in there using it when it happened, so it didn't get tweaked some weird way. The only thing I can think of is if there are two metals there that don't work well together, making one brittle. Other than that, I really don't know.

And it's barely noon!

I already had a bunch of stuff to try and do today. I'll be adding: replace bathroom faucet to the list now. Gee, thanks bathroom.




Guess what I did though... I grabbed the camera really quick after putting the towels down. So here's what it looked like...



Soaking up the water.

The medicine cabinet took the brunt of the blow.

The ceiling.



The outhouse picture was a goner.



The busted faucet.

Hopefully I'll get another chance to sit down and tell you about our weekend. It was fun.

New perspective...

Anna came home and we talked about how crazy it was that the faucet just broke on it's own. Then Anna said, "It's a good thing it didn't happen yesterday." Then it occurred to me how lucky we really were. We were gone from home for most of the day. If it had happened at the same time, just a day earlier, we would have found it after a couple hours! That would have been bad. But had it happened soon after we left home for the rest of the day (more on that in a future post), it could have been disastrous! Hour upon hour of fast flowing water pouring through the whole house. That would have ruined a lot of things.

After thinking of all that could have happened and didn't, we are feeling lucky indeed.

1 comment:

Ken said...

The post time says 10:33 am, it was soon after that, and I sat back down for this post just before noon.